Sandy River Delta Hike
Distance: 4.2 miles
Elevation Gain: 100ft
Summary: No real trails, but plenty of footpaths and old roads to explore. This is a popular place to let your dogs off-leash.
Trailhead [map]: From PDX east on I-84 to Exit 18. Loop around to a stop sign. Turn right drive under the freeway and park in the lot to the left.
Click for… Additional Trail Information
Don’t Forget…Safe Hiking Tips for You and your Dog
- Know the Conditions & Weather
- Know the route
- Be prepared
- Have a backup plan
We also want to remind you to bring extra water for your dog as well as food/treats!! In addition to packing a first aid kit for your pet, we suggest you also pack duct tape as a universal “just in case” … for instance if your dog’s paws start to get blisters or cuts from rocks on the trail, you can use duct tape as a quick, temporary boot for your pup.
- Rocky trails are hard on dog paws – consider carrying booties
- Hazardous animals – cougars, snakes, bears, skunks, porcupines, salmon (found dead during spawning season) or any raw fish
- Water from streams may be contaminated with
- Plants – poison oak & poison ivy, toxic: rhododendrons & azaleas
- Heat stroke can be fatal to dogs when its 70 degrees or warmer
- Ticks and Lyme disease