Distance: 3.2 miles
Elevation Gain: 100ft
Summary: Walk right along the Willamette River with views of downtown riverfront. Cross the Steel and Hawthorne bridges. Take in the Saturday Market.
Trailhead [map]: SE Water Ave & Hawthorne Blvd. Free street parking as well as paid lots available.
Click for… Additional Trail Information
Don’t Forget…Safe Hiking Tips for You and your Dog
Safety First for you and your dog
Our friends at Portland Mountain Rescue would appreciate us sharing the 4 Elements of Safety:
- Know the Conditions & Weather
- Know the route
- Be prepared
- Have a backup plan
We also want to remind you to bring extra water for your dog as well as food/treats!! In addition to packing a first aid kit for your pet, we suggest you also pack duct tape as a universal “just in case” … for instance if your dog’s paws start to get blisters or cuts from rocks on the trail, you can use duct tape as a quick, temporary boot for your pup.
For information about Park Passes and Permits, see these links:
Beware of and prepare for…
Here is a summary of some of the hazards that you need to consider when hiking in the NW.
- Rocky trails are hard on dog paws – consider carrying booties
- Hazardous animals – cougars, snakes, bears, skunks, porcupines, salmon (found dead during spawning season) or any raw fish
- Water from streams may be contaminated with
- Plants – poison oak & poison ivy, toxic: rhododendrons & azaleas
- Heatstroke can be fatal to dogs when its 70 degrees or warmer
- Ticks and Lyme disease