Distance: 6.9 miles loop
Elevation Gain: 2800ft
Fees/Permits: NW Forest Pass
Summary: A popular hike through forest and meadows while taking in views of Mt. Hood and Mt. St. Helens.
Trailhead [map]:Trailhead is on north side of Washington State Highway 14 at milepost 53. Approximately 12 miles east from Bridge of the Gods.
Click for… Additional Trail Information
Don’t Forget…Safe Hiking Tips for You and your Dog
- Know the Conditions & Weather
- Know the route
- Be prepared
- Have a backup plan
We also want to remind you to bring extra water for your dog as well as food/treats!! In addition to packing a first aid kit for your pet, we suggest you also pack duct tape as a universal “just in case” … for instance if your dog’s paws start to get blisters or cuts from rocks on the trail, you can use duct tape as a quick, temporary boot for your pup.
- Rocky trails are hard on dog paws – consider carrying booties
- Hazardous animals – cougars, snakes, bears, skunks, porcupines, salmon (found dead during spawning season) or any raw fish
- Water from streams may be contaminated with
- Plants – poison oak & poison ivy, toxic: rhododendrons & azaleas
- Heat stroke can be fatal to dogs when its 70 degrees or warmer
- Ticks and Lyme disease